What Is the New MyReadingLab?
MyReadingLab, the most widely used online learning program, provides better practice for college readers.
Built on ease of use, a wealth of practice opportunity, and extensive progress tracking, MyReadingLab offers skill remediation across four levels of difficulty. MyReadingLab is the only product that improves students’ reading via two practice engines: Reading Skills, mastery based skill practice offering Practice and Test exercises sets across 26 skill topics, and Reading Level, the Lexile® framework (www.Lexile.com) that measures both reader ability and text difficulty on the same scale to match students with readings within their Lexile range and monitor their progress.
Over the better part of a decade, MyReadingLab has been the most widely used online learning application for reading improvement, with almost 1 million student registrations across two- and four-year institutions. We have published case studies and multiple surveys demonstrating how MyReadingLab consistently benefits students’ mastery of key reading skills, reading comprehension, and critical thinking.
Learn more about MyReadingLab's features for:
College readers have varying skill levels and different learning styles. The new MyReadingLab accommodates these differences through personalized learning, integrated learning aids, and a more intuitive navigation.
- Personalized Learning. MyReadingLab has three levels of assessment: Path Builder, Topic Post Test, and Mastery Check (post-test diagnostic to complement the Path Builder). Students begin by completing the Path Builder to receive a personalized set of content modules in a format called the Learning Path. Within each module is a Topic Post Test, an additional diagnostic to assess students' proficiency with topic. The end Mastery Check then reassesses students' mastery of the topics. This deliberate macro to micro assessment helps to keep students focus on problem area and accelerate their progress.
- Students begin by completing the Path Builder, a comprehensive diagnostic tool aligned to specific outcomes. Once students complete a Path Builder diagnostic test, they receive a personalized set of content modules, in a format called the Learning Path.
- Within each module is a Skill Check, a diagnostic to assess students' proficiency within the module and determine what topics are mastered and which need more work. This acute focus on personalized assessment and learning make MyReadingLab tailored to each student's specific strengths and weaknesses.
- Integrated Learning Aids. With over 6,000 exercises and immediate feedback, the quantity and quality of practice available in MyReadingLab is unmatched. Within each skill topic, MyReadingLab activities now offer integrated learning aids to reinforce learning:
- "Ask My Instructor" enables students to e-mail their instructor for help right at the point at which they are struggling. Students can e-mail a query accompanied by a copy of the question or concept with which they are struggling.
- Animations provide interactive, visual (and audio) summaries of the topic's key concepts.
- The Glossary assists students by defining key or technical terms.
- Navigation. The new interface makes navigating MyReadingLab more streamlined and intuitive, which results in greater efficiency and student engagement. The Homepage now consists of three areas: the left-hand navigation column, the week's "To Do" calendar, and the entry point to the Learning Path. When students visit the site, they are never at a loss for what they need to do that day.
As course demographics and dynamics shift and instructors and departments are pressed to produce better outcomes results, we have continued to develop MyReadingLab to meet your needs. The new MyReadingLab offers you more control over your course and its content, enhanced course management features, and a more powerful Gradebook.
More control over course and content – NEW! Instructors can now exercise greater control in customizing MyReadingLab to match their teaching style and course goals. New options include:
- making all four content levels in MyReadingLab available in a single course
- creating new activities and assessments or editing existing items
- creating new or editing existing diagnostics
- releasing content to select students
Among the customization options for each Homework, Quiz, and Test item are the options of assigning due dates, tracking late submissions and giving of partial credit, setting or removing prerequisites, and establishing the mastery score.
Furthermore, in Pearson’s commitment to implementing the Section 508 recommendations, much of our content has been redeveloped to be read by screen readers. While creating an assessment or assignment, instructors will see an icon next to the questions formatted for screen readers. It is our hope that this enhancement will make our technology and content accessible to all users.
Course Management. The new MyReadingLab now offers these options and tools:
- hide and/or rename features or course areas (such as Study Skills)
- assign “section instructors” (a.k.a., TA status) who have limited privileges within the course, such as assisting with grade tracking.
- Chat & ClassLive tools engage classes in synchronous chat and whiteboard sessions
- email the entire class or select students
Gradebook. All student work in MyReadingLab is captured in the online Gradebook. Instructors have detailed reports, such as class summaries that track the progress of their entire class and show individual student detail, as well as topical views.
New Gradebook functions include:
- flexible grading options (weighting, drops, etc.)
- exporting grades for individual assignments or assessments, mastery status, and performance by module
- importing outside grades
- searching/emailing students based on specific criteria, such as overall average, assignment performance, and work activity
Transitioning to the New MyReadingLab
If you're already using MyReadingLab, we're here to help you make a seamless transition to the new MyReadingLab. Visit Transitioning to the New MyReadingLab for resources that will help you get familiar with the new navigation and option set.